Volunteer at the Zoo
Looking to volunteer at the Zoo?
The Zoo is always in need of volunteers to aid our mission of connecting our community with wildlife. As a volunteer, you will get an inside peek at what it takes to care for our animals daily. As a part of the volunteer community, you’ll help us achieve that mission; do practical, helpful work; all while sharing our passion for animals and the community. This volunteer position will provide support to staff at the Randall Oaks Zoo. This unpaid position will learn more about what it takes to take care of over 160 animals that live at Randall Oaks Zoo.
Who can volunteer?
Anyone age 16 and up is welcome to apply for our volunteer program year-round.
How to volunteer
- Pick a day of the week & time that works best for you: Our volunteer shifts are seven days a week, with time slots either 7:00 am to 11:00 am or 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. We ask that you sign up for a minimum of a one-time slot a week.
- Can you do more? Yes!
- Can you take days off? Absolutely.
- Pick a section that interests you the most:
- Animal Care: This opportunity helps with the everyday animal cleaning and care that is necessary to make the zoo function. You may be aiding Zoo Staff with their daily tasks, doing general clean-up within the Zoo, or shadowing a Zoo staff member in their area.
- Animal Enrichment: These creative volunteers have the opportunity to build or create enrichment for the animals at the Zoo. Typically these volunteers should be handy with essential tools, construction, and painting.
- Docents/Special Event Volunteers: These volunteers should be comfortable talking to guests and willing to learn the facts needed to teach our guests about wildlife and nature. During our open season (April-October), our volunteers will either work from our “critter cart,” which includes biofacts such as skulls or fur, for public interaction or be stationed near an animal, engaging the public in learning about that species. During our closed season (December-April), this volunteer may help prepare for upcoming special events or educational programming. During our open season, our docent shifts are seven days a week, with time slots either being 9:30 am to 11:30 am, 11:30 am to 1:30 pm, or 1:30 to 3:30 pm. We ask that you sign up for a minimum of a one-time slot a week.
- Do the paperwork!
- Fill out the Dundee Township Park District volunteer application.
- Attend our volunteer orientation!
- Orientations are held multiple times throughout the year and are essential to learning about our expectations and obligations.
- Pick a start date and GO! When it comes time to work, safety is our top priority! Your first three shifts will be paired with our Zoo leads as you learn about our daily tasks. Volunteers will not go into animal exhibits without a zoo staff unless approved by a Supervisor. The longer you volunteer, the more you’ll see and do as you earn increased responsibility.
Thank you again for your interest in volunteering with Randall Oaks Zoo. If you have any questions, please contact Sara Peters, Animal & Park Curator, anytime. So, whether you are looking to get a career in this field or just looking for something fun to do, we want you to enjoy your time here as well!
Looking to work at the Zoo?
If you are looking for job opportunities at the Randall Oaks Zoo, click below.
Sara Peters, Randall Oaks Zoo & Park – Animal and Park Curator
(847) 551-4310 x5003 | email@example.com
April 1, 2023
Your Summer Camp Adventure Awaits
March 1, 2023
Rakow Center Locker Room Renovation Project
December 22, 2022
Zoo Membership Special
December 17, 2022
Come and explore our classrooms on January 10-12
December 2, 2022
Get ready to run! Frozen Oaks 5K | February 4
September 22, 2022
Sat Live! Every 1st & 3rd Saturday from October-March
August 26, 2021
Give a unique gift of animal sponsorship for any occasion.
December 4, 2020
Bond refinance saves Dundee Township Park District more than $1.8 million
April 15, 2019
Dundee Township Park District awarded for excellence in financial reporting
June 3, 2023
Sleepy Hollow Pool Opening Day
June 7, 2023
June 10, 2023
Yoga in the Park - Randall Oaks Park
June 10, 2023
June 13, 2023
Family Fun Nights in the Park - June
June 16, 2023
Concerts in the Park - The Stingrays
June 17, 2023
Yoga in the Park - Sleepy Hollow Pool
June 18, 2023
Father's Day at the Zoo
June 18, 2023
Father's Day at the Pool
June 21, 2023